As members of _____________________________________________ we establish this Social Contract and agree that when we are together we will -
· Treat each other with Respect, Honesty, Encouragement, Kindness, Friendship, Forgiveness, Dignity, Patience, Mercy, Trust, Empathy, Tact, Love, Value, Grace, Truth, Integrity, and Confidentiality, and will listen and not gossip!
· In addition, we will be Non-judgmental, Accountable, Flexible, Courteous, Committed, Productive, Ethical, Open, Slow to Anger, Supportive, Transparent, Clear, and Truthful.
If we talk to another member (who is not part of the problem or the solution) about something concerning a third party team member, we have 48 hours to bring that conversation to the attention of the third party team member as we have committed to shut down all gossip.
The effectiveness of this Social Contract rests on the extent to which everyone works toward its desired end. Each member must be willing to be held accountable for themselves. Team members must be willing to hold each other accountable as well.
Assuming we agree on how to treat each other, what should we do if one of us does not follow the behaviours we agreed upon?
1. Assess the situation and go to the person one on one.
The steps to take when you go to someone are:
a. Go in Kindness I care more about you than what you think of me
b. In humility (I could be wrong)
c. Pre-forgiveness worked out internally before the meeting
d. 100% truth, just the facts on that situation
We agree to go to the other person with good intentions and desire to understand them.
2. Next step: if the situation is not resolved, then we will bring in two or three others who will be a witness to the words that are spoken.
3. Next Step: If the situation is not resolved, mutually agree to bring the issue to the Team.
4. If no resolution takes place then some sort of separation will take place (for example ask them to temporarily leave the meeting). It is our intent that every issue be resolved by step one and no further action will be needed.
We recognise we are imperfect. If we fail to live up to the agreement, we will take the initiative to apply the 6 step Apology:
1. Acknowledge what we did by stating the offense (“I did it”)
2. Admit that we are wrong (“I was wrong”)
3. Say that we are sorry (“I am sorry”)
4. Ask – “Will you forgive me and if and when you can, will you forgive me?” Wait for the answer.
5. Ask the person or group” “Will you hold me accountable? I give you permission to hold me accountable from now on.”
6. Ask – “Is there anything else?”
By signing this contract, we are committing to abide by and be held accountable to the behaviours that we as a team/organisation believe demonstrate the type of culture and environment that will foster the best personal and professional development and success.